Before we continue, let’s get this out of the way:
There’s no us without you!
Continue to challenge us, chat with us, and come see us on video. We have much more coming in the near future because it’s not like we don’t have a lot of time on our damn hands. (Thanks Corona!)
Lately, we have been adding to our special #NerdHerd inside the Matrix, so we feel every once in a while, it would be important to introduce you to our team. From writers to gamers, bloggers to vloggers, we’re trying to come at the Geckaphile Globe in anyway possible.
So, be on the lookout for these “Inside the Matrix” posts. We’ll get to everyone, eventually. (And, not for nothing, we are still looking to recruit more of the aforementioned nerd herd. If you are a cinephile or geckaphile, or both, drop us a line from the website. We’d love to hear from you.)
And now, on with our dating questionnaire that involves some thought, introspection, quickfire responses, and a few other things our team can embellish.
Inside The Matrix: @mrcrockpot
Inside the Matrix: Who are you?
Explain Your Twitter Handle:
- In terms of the #AutismAwareness reference, I’ve been working with children and adolescents on the Autism spectrum for over 10 years.
- I am a first-time father with an 11-month old daughter. That picture up there is my life. I’m a huge dog lover as well.
- Also, I am one of the partners of The Painted Lines where I write and podcast on Philadelphia sports.
- What is “Mr. Crockpot”? Cooking is a passion of mine. Whether it’s using the crock-pot or smoking meats, I’m in the kitchen or outside by a grill. Understanding that, “Mr. Crockpot” was the first thing that came to my head when I first joined Twitter.
Birthdate: October 20
Cellphone wallpaper? There she is. My life.
Home: Lancaster County, Pennsylvania (Yes, Amish country…bring on the jokes)
Job Inside the Matrix: “I drink and I write things.”
- Epic film/TV nerd. Proof? I used a quote from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air to propose to my then-girlfriend/now-wife (DM me if you want the quote). Our daughter has two Disney film references in her name (The Princess and the Frog & WALL-E).
- We are huge lovers of anything Disney and Pixar, and challenge each other with Disney movie trivia on the regular.
- Also, much of our free time is playing board games and seeing what’s new on Netflix and Disney Plus when we have free time.
- We also have a 4-year-old Shetland Sheepdog named Kona, after the Kona Brewing Company, which we visited in Hawaii during our honeymoon.
Make a Good First Impression on Our Readers: My top four movies of all time include:
- The Fellowship of the Ring
- The Dark Knight
- Almost Famous
- Jurassic Park
- Let’s see, what else:
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is the best Spider-Man flick, hands down.
- Kevin Conroy is the best Batman of all time.
- Ahsoka Tano is my Queen.
- I played Division 1 baseball in college at Temple University in Philadelphia.
- I am a fierce lover of board games and a good bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch before going to bed.
- Bonus: This is me interviewing the legend, Kevin Conroy as part of the media during Comic-Con in Philadelphia. I’ll let you figure out which one is who.
Time to choose favorites…
Wars or Trek: Zero disrespect to Star Trek, but this one is easily Star Wars for me.
Marvel or DC: I have deep love and respect for Kevin Feige and the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but DC has run heavily in my veins since childhood. Nothing touches Batman and Joker for me.
Desktop, Laptop, Tablet, or Phone: Macbook Pro, all the way baby.
Boxers or Briefs: Easily, briefs.
Fruits or Vegetables: Fruit is just more versatile when it comes to food prep.
Hero or Villain: Villains, baby (I’m a DC guy, what did you expect?)
Fantasy or Sci-Fi: Oof. This is really tough and two of my favorite genres because they walk hand-in-hand with my favorite element of film: world building. Movies to me are all about escapism and I have deep appreciation for any film that throws you into a completely new and exciting environment.
Mac or PC: Mac
Tacos or Pizza: Pizza.
Cosplay or People Watcher: People Watcher.
Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo, or PC: Nintendo all the way, baby. When I do have time to game, I prefer to play the classics such as Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario Bros.
iOS or Android: Android
Movies or TV: Movies. I love binging new TV shows, but there is nothing better than a big ol’ bucket of buttered popcorn, a refreshing soda, and an overly cold movie theater.
Real talk from a real person
What are the last five songs on your playlist?
- “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” by Randy Newman (Toy Story)
- “Gaston” by Michael Kosarin (Beauty and the Beast)
- “If I Didn’t Have You” by John Goodman and Billy Crystal (Monsters Inc)
- “Poor Unfortunate Souls” by Pat Carroll (The Little Mermaid)
- “Friend Like Me” by Robin Williams (Aladdin)
What is favorite genre of movies? Why? My favorite movie genre is horror because it can invoke the widest range of emotions of any genre.
Today’s elite horror films have shown the ability to not only be terrifying, but also provide top-notch comedy. The horror genre is one of the few genres that constantly break new ground, introduce new tropes, and try to reinvent itself. You rarely see this with comedies, adventure, or even animation. I love those genres, but they also tend to follow the same, predictable pattern.
Who is your favorite movie/TV character? Easily Batman for me. I grew up reading and watching Batman as a child. I may be 35 years old, but absolutely nothing has changed. Batman’s character arc will always be my favorite. Watching him rise above his childhood tragedy and how that interplays against the best rogue gallery of villains in comics makes him my favorite.
To wit: Yes, I try to tell people those magic two words every chance I get:
Best Book/Comic/Graphic Novel You’ve Ever Read: This is a difficult question but if I had to choose the best, I would go with The Killing Joke. It is one of those comics, or specifically, graphic novels that truly sets the bar for Joker’s level of crazy. It also beautifully establishes the ying and yang of what makes the dynamic between Joker and Batman elite.
What do you collect? Nothing currently. As a kid, I loved to collect basketball cards. Fun fact: I still have multiple binders of basketball cards from my childhood in storage.
Poof. You’re a Superhero… Being a great father to my 11-month old daughter makes you a superhero. If I had to pick, I’d go with Cable. Having the ability to time travel to 1980 when The Empire Strikes Back was released and see everyone’s reactions would be a dream.
What is your favorite movie quote?
Believe it or not, I… interviewed a professional basketball player after he hit a game winning shot. My first question during the post game interview: “Did you see the latest trailer of Avengers: Endgame?” True story! (We had a relationship prior to the game and both had multiple conversations about comic book movies).
Let’s see your workspace: Go Philly!
Famous People You Have Actually Met:
- Walter Payton
- Peyton Manning
- Ben Simmons.
- (All interviews. So great.)
Coolest Thing You’ve Ever Done: I’ve done some extremely dangerous mountain biking throughout Canada and Colorado.
Stray Pet Peeves:
- I can’t stand people being disrespectful towards others point of view.
- I don’t get along with others who are narrow minded and don’t accept other’s perspectives.
If you had to delete all but 5 apps from your smartphone, which ones would you keep?
- ESPN, so I can look at box scores of my favorite teams.
- Discord and Facebook messenger. so I can talk to my friends.
- Outlook so I can stay on top of work.
- Twitter so I can stay on top of the latest news in sports and entertainment.
I Once Got Detention For… I have never received a detention.
What is your favorite item you’ve bought during the Coronavirus? My electric smoker. I’ve done nothing but smoke meats since being quarantined.
The zombie apocalypse is coming, what three people (hero or villain) do you want on your team?
- Batman for resources and intelligence.
- Superman to fly away from danger if needed.
- Wolverine because of the amazing stories he could tell, which would pass the time when quarantined.
Why are you part of the MoviesMatrix.com team? Meet some new people, make some new friends and have a good time. I think my strengths are with podcasting and I hope to grow the YouTube channel for MoviesMatrix down the road.