For three seasons, Cobra Kai has delighted fans of nostalgia, martial arts, and teen drama on two different networks. But now that the grudge-that-will-never-die has gone generational on Netflix, Ralph Macchio (Danielsan) and William Zabka (Johnny) are figuring out how to make as much bank of this project as possible.
So, what’s the next area of opportunity for Cobra Kai as we wait for Season Three? Video games, of course.
Cobra Kai: The Saga Continues
Can’t we all just get along? No? Well, then gear up because we can soon play enter the dojo via a gaming console. This should be fun because it drops today!
According to Game Mill Entertainment, you can enter into the lives of both Daniel or Johnny, “master your moves, and embrace your destiny in an epic beat ’em up adventure inspired by the hit show.”
“Cobra Kai: The Sage Continues” provides eight playable characters, each with “deep movesets, combos, progression, real-time character swaps, ultimate attacks, and much more!”
Want to get transported back three decades? Both William Zabka and Ralph Macchio reprise their roles by voice acting Daniel and Johnny. Both characters are available in campaign mode, so that’s fun if you need that extra bit of nostalgia.
There are various skills and upgrades to master along the user journey of 28 separate missions. If you decide to complete both sides, you’ll unlock an “ultimate ending”.
Now the fight is in your hands. Well, if you buy the game. Admittedly, this thing lacks insufferably on graphics, but much like the highly bingeable series, this isn’t supposed to be award-winning content here. This is fantastic amusement and non-thinking fun.
Other expectations for this homage to Cobra Kai include:
- Two-Fold Storyline – Featuring an all-new storyline filled with unique cutscenes and dialog-choose to take control of Daniel and his students at Miyagi-Do Karate through a storyline campaign. Or select their rivals, Johnny Lawrence and his disciples at Cobra Kai to play their side of the story. Completing both sides of the campaign unveils an ultimate ending.
- RPG-Like Dojo Progression – Master 40 unique skills and upgrade your characters’ stats as you karate your way through enemies.
- Character Swap System – Choose your Dojo then seamlessly swap between your favorite characters within, including Miyagi Do’s Daniel, Robby, Sam and Demetri; or Cobra Kai’s Johnny, Miguel, Hawk and Tory.
- Live the Cobra Kai Universe – Explore Los Angeles in the Karate Kid universe across 28 missions filled with characters and enemies from the show!
- Authentic Cobra Kai Experience – Featuring the voices of William Zabka, Ralph Macchio and other top-tier cast, along with an exclusive soundtrack from the creators of the show.
Looks like mutant powers are in store with ice shots and Chi (or Ki) force, so there’s that. Get Cobra Kai: The Saga Continues now (game dropped October 27) for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch. It may even be uploaded to the official merch store too.
Oh, just in case you missed it…mark your calendars. We can ring in the new year with Cobra Kai too. They don’t miss anything.